Monday, June 1, 2009

Random Thoughts for June First

Yes, I know, it's been awhile. Life has been crazy.

• My grandpa, whom I live with, fell down while taking a walk around the block on April 24. He was in ICU at the hospital for a day, and spent another couple of days in the cardiac unit. He has been home for a month now, getting better every day, but still needing lots of attention and care. My mom was here for the few days he was in the hospital, then her sister came for 3 weeks to help out. When she left, my other aunt who lives in Rhode Island came for two weeks. She just went home yesterday, and now it is back to just me and him. We have lots of visitors during the day, which I appreciate. It has been an all-consuming thing, dealing with him, his doctors, etc. We probably have a few more months of craziness with him, then hopefully he can drive again and get back to all he was doing before his fall. Lately he has been telling people that he tried to "erase his face". I think that's a funny visual. He did fall on his face, broke his nose and several other bones in his face, but you wouldn't know it for how he looks now. He has healed amazingly fast for an 87-year-old guy.
• We have had some awesome summer storms the last few days. We had one tonight that kept knocking our power out. (ok, only twice, but that's enough, don't you think?) These are the kind of storms that make me want to go back to Taylorview Lane, get my doll out, and a lawn chair, on the porch so I don't get too wet, and watch the storm. I did go sit outside for a minute tonight. I love the smell. I love how everything looks green and fresh after the rain. I love watching the puddles form. I love watching the rain hit so hard that it is bouncing off the road. I don't love driving in it. My aunt and I went to Sweet Tomatoes on Saturday night, and we had one of these crazy storms on our way home. It was a mite bit scary driving home - couldn't really see anything, felt like I was hydroplaning. So, I like to be home during these crazy summer storms.
• I planted a garden a few weeks ago. I helped my mom in the garden when I was growing up, but this is the first time I have actually planted my own garden. So, I've been watching it every day, getting so excited when the first little sprouts came up. My zucchini plants are doing great, and so are the cucumbers. I planted beets for my grandpa, those might produce a little bit. But my beans are looking kind of sad. I only have a few sprouts coming up. I planted some pepper plants just the other day, I think they will be ok. And my aunt planted a tomato for my grandpa. So, we should have some good veggies in a few months. My grandpa also has some fruit trees in the backyard, so we will hopefully feasting on pears, apples, peaches and apricots, too! Can't wait!
• I went to The Homestead in Midway, UT, last weekend with my cool family, thanks to my very generous sister Jeanette. We had a great time swimming, hanging out, and eating yummy food. It was beautiful up there.
• I became an aunt again on Friday. My little sister Julie had her fourth child, first girl on Friday in Idaho Falls. Capri Jasmine is a cutie! I can't wait to go visit her sometime soon.

I guess that's all the randomness in my head tonight. It is 8:40, and lately that has been when I'm getting tired and going to bed. I must be getting old.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love summer storms, too! We didn't have much of a storm last night, though. Good luck with your garden! I haven't planted anything yet because our garden isn't done yet. It's taking a lot of work, but it'll be worth it. It was great to see you last weekend. We had lots of fun!